- Get up to $25 cash back per person when you book with us
- All taxes included
- Full-day tour of the Big Island, exploring its wild side, visiting waterfalls, volcanoes, and rugged coastlines
- Breakfast of granola island-style yogurt parfait & Tex Drive-In’s malasadas
- Restaurant lunch at Kilauea Lodge, with a choice of four meals
- Small groups for more personalised service
- Friendly & knowledgeable guides providing informative & entertaining commentary
- Travel in luxury & comfort, with a small-group Mercedes-Benz mini-coach including hot & cold towel service
- Return transfers from selected west coast hotels
Where we Visit:
- Tex Drive-In
- Akaka Falls State Park
- Onomea Scenic Outlook
- Kilauea Lodge
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Kilauea Caldera
- Chain of Craters Road
- Kilauea Visitor Center
- Steam Vents
- Thurston Lava Tube
- Saddle Road
What to Expect
Travel in style and comfort as you cruise along the wild and scenic Hamakua coastline on your way to see some of the Big Island's most magnificent natural attractions. This unique and unforgettable tour provides the most comprehensive exploration of Kilauea Volcano’s past, present and future.
The day starts with collection from your hotel and a delicious breakfast of granola and yoghurt parfaits, plus fresh malasadas (Portuguese-style doughnuts) from the famous Tex’s Drive-In. It's the best way to fuel up for the adventure ahead!
Cruise along the wild and scenic Hamakua coastline on your way to Akaka Falls State Park. Here, it's just a short walk along a tropical rainforest loop to see two stunning waterfalls. The first is Kahuna Falls which sits 100 feet tall, then, as you continue along the path you'll see Akaka Falls as it cascades 442-feet into a gorge below.
Continue down to the coast to the lush landscapes of Onomea Bay, and take in the views from the Onomea Scenic Outlook. Don't forget your camera to capture this special moment.
The next stop is the highlight of the day for many guests – Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Start with the Kilauea Visitor Centre for more information on the park. Then, see the magnificent Kilauea Caldera, and take the Chain of Craters Road, which ends where the lava has reclaimed the road. You'll also visit the Thurston Lava Tube, a 500-year-old lava cave formed by ancient lava flows.
Lunch is included in your tour, with a sit-down meal at Kilauea Lodge. Choose from a Big Island Beef Burger with fries, Ranch Turkey Wrap with fries, Nicoise salad, or Tofu burger with fries.
As the day comes to a close, drive along the scenic saddle road that passes between the island's two largest mountains – Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea. It's the perfect, end to a wonderful day out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Very! Our guides want to work for us because we pamper the guests AND the guides! Having driven low-roof, hard-seated, worn-out vans in the past, we understand the importance of being comfortable on the ride to the volcano (or around the island!)
Maintaining a fleet of Mercedes Benz passenger vans is more expensive than using inferior vehicles, but we never cut corners on safety or customer service – ever.
The brand new vehicle even has reclining leather seats! The vans have high roofs to maneuver through the cabin, adjustable air conditioning, seatbelt extensions, cup holders, and large windows for the best views. The audio/visual package is top-of-the-line with a large flip-down monitor and separate speakers for video and guide headset. This technology allows for the driver/guide to show video while narrating; it’s the ultimate way to cruise the Big Island!
We offer free front door pick-ups at all major West Hawaii hotels and resorts. We also offer the option to meet at a central meeting point to accommodate a busy vacation schedule, if you prefer. For bed and breakfasts or smaller resorts, we’re happy to work with you. Leave the driving to us!
Our vans are equipped to handle easy storage of a collapsible wheelchair or other medical equipment. We do not have a wheelchair lift, however. We have also installed an extra hydraulic side step for extra easy on and off for all riders.
Nearly all tours include the opportunity for a few short walks. However, none of them includes any walking longer than 20 minutes. Should guests choose to skip any of our short walks, Kailani guides are happy to make further accommodations.
Passengers travelling with a collapsible wheelchair or walker are more than welcome. Please note, our mini-coaches are equipped to handle easy storage of a wheelchair or other medical equipment. We do not have a wheelchair lift on our vehicles at this time.
Sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat, camera, and a hat (optional). We recommend bringing a small backpack or tote bag as there is plenty of room in our spacious cabin.
Although Hawaii is home to the endless summer, there are places and times where the temperature can drop substantially. Weather can change dramatically from hot and humid to cool and wet conditions. We recommend wearing comfortable footwear, a hat and sunglasses, and shorts or long pants. Comfortable and light clothing is recommended. Jackets will be provided in the event of cooler temperatures or inclement weather.
Although some cell phone carriers have spotty coverage on the Big Island, we’ll be within cell phone range for most of the tours. We have a charger on board in case your battery runs low, but some guests bring their own mobile battery charger. Then again, it might actually be nice to set down your phone for a while, too. We also rely on “The Coconut Wireless” or shouting across canyons to communicate.
- The minimum age is 5 years
- Tour description and itinerary is subject to change. Due to the topographical and weather changes that have recently affected the tour area, some attractions and sites may be unreachable or unsafe to visit
- Park officials have recently reopened Hawaii Volcanoes National Park with several restrictions as they continue to make repairs, but have been known to restrict entry without notice. The operator will not issue refunds caused by park restrictions
- A combined minimum of 4 guests is required for a tour to operate
- Guests will be charged 100% of the tour price for cancellations made within 24 hours of the scheduled tour
Reviews for Big Island Wild and Scenic Volcano Experience
Get Instant Confirmation