Make washi paper from raw materials in Tokyo's countryside
Learn Washi Art and Japanese Paper Making Highlights
- Experience real Japanese paper making from raw materials
- Enjoy the rich natural surroundings of Nishitama
- Get lead by a professional Japanese paper maker
- Create your original washi art
- Draw a unique picture using the paper making method, without a brush
- Option to create a colourful washi paper by pouring coloured kozo (mulberry) fibers into the frame
What to Expect
Frequently Asked Questions
- Meeting Point: (Come early too) Musashi-Itsukaichi Station or (Tell the taxi driver to) 6436 Oguno, Hinode-machi, Nishitama-gun, Tokyo
- ACCESS: It takes an hour from Shinjuku Station (without changing trains). We will pick up the first seven people at Musashi-Itsukaichi Station. For anyone coming after the seventh, please take a taxi.
- Access by train
- Shinjuku ⇓?JR Chuo Line 25 min. ?Tachikawa Station ⇓ (JR Ome Line 15 min.) Haijima Station ⇓?JR Itsukaichi Line 20 min.? Musashi-Itsukaichi Station ⇓ Taxi?10 mins. One-way 1500 yen? ?On weekends and holidays, it is convenient to take Holiday Rapid service train (normal fare) from Shinjuku direct to Musashi-Itsukaichi (Approx. 1 hour) without having to transfer. Holiday Rapid train for Musashi-Itsukaichi is coupled with one bound for Ome. So when you take the train, please make sure the vehicle you get in is bound for Musashi-Itsukaichi.
- Access by car
- 15 min. from Hinode Interchange of the Ken-o Expressway. The eastbound lanes of the connecting Chuo Expressway are heavily congested on weekends and holidays. So please leave time to spare and come safely.
- Access by train
Comfortable shoes, casual clothes (they may get wet) or apron, and a hand towel
Reviews for Learn Washi Art and Japanese Paper Making
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.