- Get up to $40 cash back per person when you book with us to use on day tours before or after your trip
- 4 nights camping accommodation
- Essential camping equipment
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Free airport pickup and drop-off available
- Detailed pre-departure briefing
- Cooking lessons and Pachamanca demonstration
- Knowledgeable native guides
- All taxes and admission permits
- Porters to carry all belongings that you don’t need in your daypack (up to a maximum weight of 7 kg)
- All breakfasts, lunches, and dinners (except lunch on the final day)
- Essential items including filtered water, medical kit and satellite phones
- Extras (hand towels, pillows, hand sanitizer, hot water for washing, snacks, daypack covers, and rain ponchos)
- 2% of the price you pay goes to support local social projects
Choquequirao Trek to Machu Picchu - 5 Days 4 NightsThe perfect Peruvian tour for those who prefer to explore untouched terrain
What to Expect
Choquequirao is one of the most beautiful places in Peru. It is an Incan site that's often compared to Machu Picchu, but is far more remote. While Machu Picchu gets close to 5,000 visitors a day, Choquequirao may see less than a dozen, making this place a truly unique destination. This multiday tour to Choquequirao is ideal for travellers who prefer to explore untouched terrain.
On this tour, you will trek through the region’s lush cloud forests and snowcapped Andean mountains. Enjoy the peace and serenity of this majestic place while you still can: Choquequirao is expected to soon become one of Peru’s hottest tourist destinations.
Where we visit:
Day 1: Cusco – Cachora – Capuliyoc – La Playa
Your tour will begin with a pick-up from your Cusco hotel between 4:30am - 5am. Then, you will drive across the Andes towards Capuliyoc, arriving there around 8:30am. Once there, you will eat a delicious breakfast with your tour group before continuing on to Choquequirao: one of the legendary lost cities of the Incas. Choquequirao is a 4-hour hike from Capuliyoc (9550ft / 2911m) - But don't worry, it's all downhill. On the way down, soak up the absolutely stunning views of the Apurimac canyon (one of the deepest in Peru) and spectacular panoramas of the different landscapes: from the highlands of Peru to the dense vegetation of the cloud forest.
Once you reach the bottom, you will enjoy a lunch at Chiquiska (1893m / 6210ft). After lunch, keep trekking for another 2 hours down to Playa Rosalina (1478m /4849ft). Once there, drop your backpack off in your tent and sip on a much-deserved hot drink. You will eat dinner and spend the night at this location.
Day 2: La Playa – Marampata – Choquequirao
Wake up, and be sure to eat a big breakfast because today wlil be one of the most challenging (yet rewarding) days of your tour! It will begin with a walk across a suspension bridge over the canyon, then leading to an uphill trek of approximately 4 hours. You will hike until you reach Marampata ( 2911m /9550ft), passing through sugarcane farms along the way. These farms are where the locals produce cañazo, a traditional alcoholic drink that has been made for centuries in the Peruvian Andes.
Along the way, you will stop for lunch at a picturesque spot with breathtaking views of the mountains and the river. After that, you will climb for another 2 hours up to Choquequirao (3030m/9940 ft). This lost city is located in the Peruvian Andes overlooking the deep canyon. It was built towards the end of the Incan empire and was thought to be one of the entrance points to Vilcabamba, the last capital of the Incas. Choquequirao was only rediscovered in the early 19th century.
You will be spending the night at a campsite located right next to the Choquequirao archaeological site, giving you plenty of personal time to go off and explore the area on your own.
Day 3: Explore Choquequirao Ruins
Day three will begin with a bright and early start. Wake up with a warm cup of hot cocoa, tea or coffee and witness the amazing sunrise over the mountains. After breakfast, you will have the whole day to explore this magnificent Inca city with the assistance of your guide. They will lead you on a comprehensive tour, taking you to some of the area's most awe-inspiring spots and educating you on the history of the city and its inhabitants.
Choquequirao translates to cradle of gold. It is nicknamed the twin sister of Machu Picchu but is almost twice the size, despite having far less visitors. That being said, it is expected that this lesser-known ruin will become one of South America's most popular tourist destinations within the next few years. After a full day of exploring this mysterious city, you will return to camp for dinner and some free time before bed.
Day 4: Choquequirao – Marampata – La Playa – Chiquiska
Enjoy another beautiful morning in Choquequirao. Eat breakfast, and then hike for 3 hours downhill to Santa Rosa (2230m / 7300ft), where you will eat lunch. Then it's time for another 2-hour trek downhill followed by 2 more hours uphill. During your hike, you will pass all sorts of different native flowers and birds as the sound of waterfalls play in the distance. Your final destination will be your campsite at Chiquiska (1800m / 5905ft). Once there, take time to enjoy the surrounding landscape and nature before eating dinner and heading to bed.
Day 5: Chiquiska – Capuliyoc – Cusco
On the final day of your tour, you will get up, have breakfast and prepare for the last 4-hour trek uphill to Capuliyoc. Once there, you will eat lunch with your group and say goodbye to the chefs and porters that have provided your meals. Then, travel by private transportation to the archaeological site of Saywite, a beautifully carved rock that remains a mystery to archaeologists. You will have plenty of time to explore before returning to Cusco. You will be dropped you off at your hotel around 5pm.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Valid, original Passport (a copy will not be accepted)
- Valid, Student Card (if you booked as a student)
- Hiking boots (light, comfortable and broken in)
- A good quality daypack (light, small and comfortable)
- Water storage for at least 2 liters; either a camel bag or water bottle(s)
FOR YOUR DAYPACKS:
Below is a list of items that we highly recommend you keep with you at all times in your personal backpack. Remember you will be carrying this with you every day of the trek so we recommend you bring a good quality daypack which is both light and comfortable. It is important to note that due to local regulations, your backpack should not exceed 25L. All larger backpacks cannot be taken into Machu Picchu and will need to be stored outside the gates.
- Hat and sunglasses
- Rain gear
- Warm layers (fleece / long-sleeved tops)
- Sun cream, bug spray
- Hand sanitizer
- Toilet paper
- Personal medication
- Band-aids, moleskin
- Camera, extra batteries
- Head torch
- Extra snacks, power bars, chocolate
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks & tips (small change is useful for paying to use the villagers’ toilets on the first day)
- Some light, comfortable shoes for the camp
- Warm jacket, hat, and gloves
- 2-3 t-shirts (wicking t-shirts are best)
- 1-2 hiking pants/trousers
- 4 sets of undergarments
- 4 sets of hiking socks
- 1 Fleece
- 1 Warm, down jacket for the coldest nights
- Quick-dry towel
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and paste
- Face moisturizer
- Powerpack/battery charger
- Plastic bags to keep wet or muddy clothes separate
It's advised that all hikers arrive in Cusco at least two days prior to your tour. This will enable you to get used to the high altitude. Those who have not had time to acclimatize may struggle with the treks.
Cusco is a domestic airport only and therefore international visitors typically arrive via Lima. The easiest and fastest way to get to Cusco from Lima is to take a flight. The bus journey from Lima to Cusco is very long (approximately 20 hours). Visitors travelling to Cusco from closer cities in Peru are advised to take a bus. There are a number of companies in Peru operating very comfortable bus journeys. We advise you to book your bus journey in advance as ticket do sell out.
Food on this tour is supplied by highly talented chefs who never fail to cook up a delightful feast despite being in the middle of the Andean Mountains! All chefs specialize in Andean cuisine and are able to cater for all dietary requirements so please let us know in advance of your needs.
All breakfasts, lunches, and dinners are provided each day (except lunch on the final day) and the food is both delicious and plentiful. It's guaranteed that even the biggest foodies among you won’t fail to be impressed. Your energy levels will be kept high with snacks each day and it's ensured that you will have tea/coffee every morning to wake you up and every afternoon to unwind.
Yes, contact us here and one of our agents will be in touch soon.
- Sleeping bag: $20 to rent
- Inflatable air mattress: $15 to rent
- Trekking poles (pair): $15 to rent
- Tips for our staff: TreXperience ensures all staff are fairly paid and therefore tipping is optional and at your own discretion
- Travel Insurance: Highly recommended for all hikers
- Lunch on the last day
- Huayna Picchu Mountain: Tickets need to be booked in advance and cost an additional $75 per person
- Machu Picchu Mountain: Tickets need to be booked in advance and cost an additional $75 per person
- Additional Night in Aguas Calientes: $55
- Vistadome Train Upgrade: $55
Embarking on an adventure such as this may involve risk of illness or injury caused by forces of nature, animals, insects, and flora. By booking your trip, you acknowledge these risks and are applying to participate voluntarily.
- All primary deposits are unfortunately 100% non-refundable. However, the earlier you notify the supplier of a cancellation, the better they can assist you.
- If you cancel 8 weeks or more days before departure: Cancellation fees equal the amount of your deposit.
- 8 weeks to 4 weeks before departure: 60% of the total tour price is due.
- 4 weeks to 5 days before departure: 80% of the total tour price is due.
- 5 days to 36 hours: 90% of the total tour price is due.
- 36 hours or less before departure: 100% of the total price is due.
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely