Spend a day exploring the Great Barrier Reef with this cruise out to the Moore Reef pontoon, which includes snorkelling, a semi-sub, & lunch.
Sunlover Reef Cruises - Cairns Great Barrier Reef Day Tour Highlights
- Get up to $20 cash back per person when you book with us
- A full day at a permanent pontoon on Moore Reef, part of the outer Great Barrier Reef
- Various activities to explore the underwater world, including snorkelling & equipment, semi-submersible & glass bottom boat tours
- Enjoy access to the underwater observatory, touch tank & fish feeding presentations, & an exciting waterslide
- A gourmet tropical-inspired lunch prepared by the talented team at Nu Nu Restaurant in Palm Cove
- Return transfers from Cairns on board a comfortable, stable, & air-conditioned catamaran
- Departs from the meeting point at Reef Fleet Terminal, 1 Spence St, Cairns
Why Do We Love This
What to Expect
Frequently Asked Questions
This varies every day. The maximum is approximately 200 people but most often is fewer. Sunlover have the largest boats in he fleet, so plenty of space on-board
The Great Barrier Reef is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for many of our visitors, who have a wonderful experience no matter the weather.
Cairns has a tropical climate and experiences hot, humid summers and cooler, dry winters. Often when the weather is cloudy or rainy in Cairns it can be the complete opposite on the outer Great Barrier Reef.
The water is between 5 and 12m in depth off the pontoon, depending on the tide. The crew supply life jackets free of charge for extra buoyancy and resting stations are dotted throughout the snorkelling area.
Cairns is located in Tropical North Queensland so the water temperature is very pleasant all year round. Approximate average water temperatures throughout the year are:
- December-February 29C or 83F
- March-May 25C or 76F
- June-August 22C or 72F
- September-November 25C or 76F
Sea conditions vary every day. The pontoon and catamaran are very stable and safe. If the rare occasion occurs and it is deemed that it isn't safe to operate due to sea conditions, passengers will be offered travel on an alternate day or will receive a refund.
Passengers who are prone to motion sickness are advised to take necessary precautions such as motion sickness medication prior to travel.
There is no minimum age. We have had infants just a few weeks old travel to the Great Barrier Reef with us. We have a specially built ocean enclosed pool for smaller children so they too can enjoy a paddle in the sea. There are minimum age requirements for optional activities such as SCUBA diving.
Yes, it's important for us to have an accurate record of every single person travelling with us. Whilst children 3 years and under travel free, you need to advise us there is an infant travelling with you when you make your booking.
No. The only requirement is that you are able to move freely around the pontoon and catamaran. The water is accessible by stairs fitted with handrails.
Yes. There are a large number of included activities that allow non-swimmers to experience the reef, such as semi-submersible and glass-bottom boat tours, underwater observatory, fish feeding and touch tank presentations or simply relaxing on the upper-level sundeck.
There are also extra activities that non-swimmers can book:
- guided snorkel tours with one of our experienced Marine Naturalists; they have a large floating life ring and can guide you amongst the coral reefs, while offering 100% safety
- Seawalker Helmet dive
- scenic helicopter flights
We have an international team who can speak many languages including Chinese, Japanese, Korean, German, Spanish and French. Important medical forms, health and safety messages are also available in selected languages for guests.
Simply pack a bag as if you were going to the beach for the day. Suggested items include:
- swimming costume and beach towel
- sunscreen (SPF 30+) reef-friendly is recommended
- sun-protective clothing such as a t-shirt or rash vest, hat and sunglasses
- cash or credit card for onboard purchases, snacks and optional activities (we accept AUD$, VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Unionpay, Royalpay)
- camera (you can also hire an underwater digital camera from our photographers Calypso Reef Imagery onboard)
Yes, secure lockers are available for hire on the boat for small personal belongings. We suggest leaving any unnecessary valuables at home or at your hotel.
Yes, the team will be able to provide assistance to you when getting on and off the catamaran. However as space is limited onboard, they encourage you to pack light or use a baby carrier where possible.
It takes approximately 2 hours to get to Moore Reef pontoon from Cairns (with a brief pick up / drop off at Fitzroy Island).
You can expect to have 4 hours reef time.
The following are available for hire or purchase on the day.
- underwater photography - hire an underwater camera or purchase print or digital photos captured by the Calypso photographers
- wetsuits - $10 hire (no charge for people doing SCUBA/helmet dives)
- prescription mask - $5 hire + $50 deposit
- lockers - small coin-operated lockers are located onboard the catamaran
- snacks - from a selection at the bar onboard the catamaran
There are toilets located on the catamaran, which are accessible at all times when the catamaran is docked at the pontoon. This is also freshwater rinse showers and change rooms on the pontoon.
There is no crèche onboard so the crew can’t care for children. Anyone under 12 years must be directly supervised at all times by an accompanying adult. All children under 18 years must be supervised and are the responsibility of their accompanying adult.
Sunlover, a renowned provider of Great Barrier Reef tours, is well-equipped to accommodate wheelchair users and takes pride in showcasing the magnificent reef to disabled guests. The vessel has multiple entrance points, a dedicated wheelchair table on the main deck, and wheelchair ramps to facilitate smooth movement around the vessel. The experienced crew at Sunlover is always ready to provide assistance and support to ensure a comfortable experience for all guests.
It's important to note that access to the water, coral viewing vessels, and underwater observatory may require navigating stairs, and a carer's presence is recommended for guests who cannot walk unassisted. Sunlover is committed to inclusivity and strives to provide a memorable and enjoyable experience for all guests, including those with disabilities.
For further information on Sunlover's accessibility features or to discuss specific requirements, guests are encouraged to contact Sunlover directly. Sunlover is dedicated to making every Great Barrier Reef adventure an exceptional one, regardless of ability.
- Guided snorkel Tour - $52 per adult / $32 Child
- Intro Dive - $149 Adults & Chiild
- Certified Dive - $149 Adult / $149 Child (must be 12+)
- Seawalker Helmet dive - $149 Adults & Child
- Scenic Heli Flight - $441 Adults / $331 Child
Prices are subject to change
It is recommended to pre-book these activites once you have booked your reef trip to avoid disappointment
Reviews for Sunlover Reef Cruises - Cairns Great Barrier Reef Day Tour
Total review count and overall rating based on Backpackerdeals and Travello reviews.
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.