- Get up to $20 cash back per person when you book with us
- A 4 hr whale experience, with the chance to swim with the migrating humpback whales
- Use of all wetsuits & snorkelling equipment required
- Departs from the meeting point at Shop 11 – 12, The Wharf Mooloolaba, 123 Parkyn Parade, Mooloolaba QLD
Sunshine Coast Swim with WhalesTake whale watching to another level with the chance to swim alongside these gentle giants of the deep!
What to Expect
The opportunity to swim with a humpback whale is a rare and extraordinary one that people who have experienced it have described as "life-changing".
Every day is different on the water, and every encounter is unique. This Swim with Whales trip is approximately 4 hrs, with each trip catering for up to 15 participants. The crew provides all participants with wetsuits and snorkelling equipment required for the adventure. Participants are also fully briefed on the boat about what to expect from the experience.
Your day starts with check-in, where you'll sign your waiver and get fitted out for your mask, snorkel, fins and wetsuit. Then, the Skipper will brief you on how the trip will run.
The trip out of Mooloolaba takes around 15 minutes. After exiting the Mooloolah River mouth, you'll begin to search for whales, looking out for mainly blows or significant surface activity from the humpback whales; however, it's not uncommon to also end up spotting dolphins, turtles and other amazing animals along the way.
After spotting the humpbacks, what you experience is entirely left up to the whales. If the they display behaviours deemed unsuitable by the crew for a swim, you will observe these animals from the boat and give them their space. However, if the team thinks it's safe for the whales and you, The Skipper will shut the boat off, and the swimmers will slowly enter the water.
There will be a floating line attached to and trailing off the back of the boat for swimmers to hold. Then it's all up to the whale – it is a natural experience and is 100% on the whale's terms.
Whales are known as curious creatures, so they may come over towards you, or they may just swim past or away. Either way, it's an experience you will never forget. It is also a case of looking but not touching these wondrous creatures.
While the crew will do everything in its power to ensure whale encounters, they can't guarantee that guests will get to swim with these magnificent sea mammals. However, if on the day the boat doesn't sight a whale, you will be eligible for 50% off your next trip.
Where we Visit:
- The waters off the coast of Mooloolaba
Frequently Asked Questions
Towel, swimsuit, change of clothes for afterwards. Please ensure you have your personal medications with you e.g. asthmatics, heart disease, anaphylaxis, etc).
This is in open water and the crew suggests you consider seasickness tablets to minimize the risk of seasickness affecting your trip. There will not be any rebookings or refunds for being seasick.
The Wharf complex has 4-hour parking available, however, you will need to find suitable parking for the tour you are on as some of the trips will be over 4 hours. There are some unlimited parking spaces available outside of The Wharf Mooloolaba / SEA Life car park, however, please keep in mind especially if you are on an 11:30 am or later trip that parking can get very busy. Please give yourself at least 15-20 minutes for parking. You can find a parking map of The Wharf Mooloolaba here.
- The minimum age is 8 years, and all children aged between 8 and 15 years must be accompanied by an adult
- All guests, including children, must be strong swimmers to participate
- The tour is not suitable for pregnant women or people with certain medical conditions
- All swimmers are required to sign a Swim With Whales Waiver
- A cancellation made by the customer less than 72 hours prior to departure incurs a 100% cancellation fee
- However, your Swim with Whales booking is transferable to another person and the new passenger can simply change the name on the booking at check in
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely