- Visit the temple that was used as the setting of movie The Last Samurai
- Practice traditional ascetic meditation training
- Climb up Mt. Shosha with a ropeway
- Enjoy panoramic views of Himeji city
- Go mountain climbing and forest bathing
- Learn about the culture and history of the area from a monk
- Optional vegetarian meal
Zen Meditation Experience at the Temple of "The Last Samurai"Practice Buddhist meditation at the setting of the famous movie, "The Last Samurai" with Tom Cruise
What to Expect
Find your internal bliss with this zen meditation experience in Himeji. During this spiritual experience, you will try real Buddhist practices including Zazen and Shakyo (hand-copying sutra) with the help of a real Buddhist monk. Zazen is a practice of sitting, letting go of all judgement and trying to let thoughts pass through your mind without stopping to focus on them. Shakyo is a more physically active meditative experience that involves a repetitive handwriting process.
You will be practising your meditation in one ofHimeji's most spiritual spots, the famous Engyo-ji Temple located at the top of a mountain. Not only is this temple spiritually significant, but also culturally, as it was the setting for the famous movie The Last Samurai starring Tom Cruise. Clear your mind at the sacred place by meditating and concentrating on the practices you're being taught. A Buddhist monk will lead the way and introduce various practices and philosophies regarding Buddhism.
After the practice, you will have the option to partake in a traditional vegetarian Buddhist meal. Buddhists do not eat meat, but you'll find that this meal will not lack in substance or flavour. Spend the end of your tour reducing your stress by trying to engage in Shinrin-yoku Forest Therapy, which is where you immerse yourself in the forest and meditate on your surroundings.
Tours depart at 10 am or 12 pm and last approximately 3.5 hours.
- Boarding a ropeway
- Arriving at Engyo-ji Temple by bus (a monk will pick you up)
- Zazen (Zen meditation)
- Shakyo (Hand-copying sutra)
- Vegetarian meal (optional)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Meeting point: The Shoshazan Engyo-ji / 2968, Shosha, Himeji, Hyogo, ?672-2201?
- Take a bus for Mt. Shosha Ropeway (a cable car) at Himeji Station (1 hour)
- A ropeway (5 min.) *Please purchase a ticket by yourself (Round trip 1,000 yen)
- The mountain bus (5 min.) *Please purchase a ticket by yourself (one way 500 yen)
- Arrive at Engyo-ji Temple
- Our Advertised Price and Net Rate DO NOT include the Japanese Consumption Tax.
- 7 to 4 days before the tour date 40% of the tour price
- 3 to 2 days before the tour date 60% of the tour price
- The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
- Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
- The cancellation fee includes handling charges.
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely