- Get up to $20 cash back per person when you book with us
- An 11-km guided walk along the Milford Track to Giant's Gate waterfall
- Morning tea snack & a warm drink as you admire the waterfall views
- Return water taxi transport from Deep Water Basin to Sandfly Point
- A 2-hr cruise along Milford Sound, with frequent stops at spectacular points of interest
- Great photo opportunities as you get closer to waterfalls & wildlife
- Tea & coffee are served onboard
- Interactive & informative commentary from the Skipper
- Departs from the meeting point at Milford Sound Visitor Terminal, State Highway 94, Milford Sound
Milford Sound Cruise & Milford Track WalkSpend a full day immersed in the beauty of Milford Sound with a guided Milford Track walk followed by a relaxing cruise.
- Lunch – BYO is recommended as there is nowhere to purchase lunch at Milford Sound
What to Expect
Enjoy an immersive Milford Soundexperience with a morning guided hike along the Milford track, followed by a cruise along the Sound itself.
Morning Guided Walk on the Milford Track
After brief introductions at the Milford Sound terminal, you'll embark on a short boat ride across Milford Sound's Deep Water Basin to Sandfly Point, adeptly named as you will see! This is the endpoint of the Milford Track, but the start of today's Milford hike.
From there, you'll begin your guided walk, meandering alongside the cascading Arthur River, then Lake Ada, on a well-formed track. Your destination and the halfway point is Giant's Gate waterfall. This spectacular waterfall is best viewed and photographed from the large swing bridge spanning the river. While here, you'll enjoy a hot drink and light snack, although you're welcome to bring your own hiking snacks as well.
There is much to see, from the ancient trees towering above to the vibrant green ferns and mosses below. Walking in a small group with a maximum of 12 people, your nature guide will point out the native fauna and flora and share the fascinating human heritage of the track, bringing the area to life.
At the end of the guided walk, you'll return to the main wharf complex for your boat cruise.
Milford Sound Cruise
Enjoy Milford Sound's awe-inspiring scenery from the comfort of a small boat cruise as you sit back and relax. You'll cruise the length of the fiord and experience the beauty of Milford Sound in all its grandeur, including icons like MitrePeak and the St Annes Point Lighthouse.
Listen to the informative commentary from the skipper, who will highlight points of interest along the way. These include the mighty Lady Bowen Falls, Lion Mountain, Copper Point, Seal Rock and Stirling Falls.
With limited numbers, you are rewarded with an intimate experience of Milford Sound and unobstructed photo opportunities from the outdoor viewing decks.
Be sure to keep an eye out for seals basking in the sun, pods of dolphins or rare Fiordland Crested Penguins that can be found seasonally within the region. There is so much to see, and this cruise is a perfect way to round off your day.
Where we Visit:
- Milford Track
- Arthur River
- Lake Ada
- Giant's Gate waterfall
- Milford Sound
- Mitre Peak
- Lady Bowen Falls
- Sinbad Gully
- Mount Pembroke
- Lion Mountain
- Copper Point
- Seal Rock
- Stirling Falls
Tour departs 8.45am (Dec-30 Apr)
Frequently Asked Questions
For the walk, it's recommended you bring:
- Comfortable walking shoes
- A day pack containing warm sweater/fleece jacket
- A waterproof jacket
- Insect repellent
- Drinking water
- Hiking snacks
- A camera.
- It's also recommended you have a change of clothes and dry shoes on the conclusion of the walk, in case it is a wet day.
- Bring lunch with you or preorder a packed lunch.
For the cruise you'll also want:
- Warm Clothing
- Waterproof Jacket
- Water bottle & lunch (complimentary tea & coffee is provided)
- Insect Repellent
The wildlife you may spot will depend on the time of year you visit and how friendly the wildlife are feeling on the day. You will see New Zealand fur seals lazing on the rocks, and if you’re lucky enough, you might spot dolphins or the rare Fiordland Crested Penguin.
There are toilets located at the back of the boat on either side.
Milford Sound is a magical paradise when it does rain, as the cliff faces come to life with thousands of waterfalls. Come prepared with a raincoat and warm clothes, and you will enjoy the show nature puts on for you.
Some fitness is required, but it's primarily easy walking. It is a 50-metre vertical gain and 11-km return walk, taking approximately 3 hrs. There are some areas where the terrain is rocky or rough underfoot. Occasionally, wet weather may make conditions more challenging when puddles or streams are encountered. The walk operates in most weather conditions, so ensure you are suitably prepared. The Milford Track Walk is not recommended for children under 8 years.
Please allow a minimum of 4 hours to drive from Queenstown to Milford Sound. The Operator would also recommend that you allow a minimum of 2 hours to drive from Te Anau. However, there are several scenic viewpoints along the way, and to make the most of your experience, it is well worth allowing extra time on top of this for you to stop and see them.
Due to the changeable nature of the conditions in Fiordland, Milford Road can be closed at any time throughout the year. Should the roads close, The Operator is happy to transfer you to another departure or refund the cost of your cruise, depending on the circumstances.
There are multiple parking options:
- Free parking at Deepwater Basin (40-minute nature walk)
- Paid parking 10 minutes from the terminal
- Disability parking outside of the visitor terminal (As long as you can display a badge)
- Children 4-14 years inclusive pay child rate. Children under 4 years are free of charge (FOC). Children under 4 years are FOC on flight if they sit on adult’s lap if less than 11kgs. Children over 11kgs will be charged at 50% of adult retail rate.
- It's advised that you check the Milford Sound Road status prior to your drive, as this can periodically close in the winter months. Please click on the following link for the latest updates - https://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/sh94-milford-road/sh94-milford-road-status/
- The Operator reserves the right to amend timetables and cancel cruise departures at any time for safety or operational reasons. The Operator has the right to cancel any cruise at any time due to unsafe weather conditions or change the cruise route at the captain's discretion
- Minimum numbers are required for the tour to go ahead
Cancellations and changes permitted for bookings up to 48 hours prior to departure at no charge, subject to availability.
Any changes to bookings made within 48 hours will be subject to space availability and may incur a cancellation fee of up to 100%.
Cancellations of bookings made within 48 hours will be charged 100% of the booking or nil refund.
Reviews for Milford Sound Cruise & Milford Track Walk
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely