Take a 2 hr cruise on Milford Sound onboard a custom built boat designed for an immersive viewing experience.
Milford Sound Cruise – Self Drive Highlights
- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us
- A 2-hr cruise along Milford Sound, with frequent stops at spectacular points of interest
- Great photo opportunities as you get closer to waterfalls & wildlife
- Tea & coffee are served onboard
- Interactive & informative commentary from the Skipper
- Departs from the meeting point at Milford Sound Visitor Terminal, State Highway 94, Milford Sound
What to Expect
Frequently Asked Questions
- Warm Clothing
- Waterproof Jacket
- Water bottle & lunch (complimentary tea & coffee is provided)
- Insect Repellent
The wildlife you may spot will depend on the time of year you visit and how friendly the wildlife are feeling on the day. You will see New Zealand fur seals lazing on the rocks, and if you’re lucky enough, you might spot dolphins or the rare Fiordland Crested Penguin.
There are toilets located at the back of the boat on either side.
It is a magical paradise when it does rain, as the cliff faces come to life with thousands of waterfalls. Come prepared with a raincoat and warm clothes, and you will enjoy the show nature puts on for you.
Please allow a minimum of 4 hours to drive from Queenstown to Milford Sound. The Operator would also recommend that you allow a minimum of 2 hours to drive from Te Anau. However, there are several scenic viewpoints along the way, and to make the most of your experience, it is well worth allowing extra time on top of this for you to stop and see them.
Due to the changeable nature of the conditions in Fiordland, Milford Road can be closed at any time throughout the year. Should the roads close, The Operator is happy to transfer you to another departure or refund the cost of your cruise, depending on the circumstances.
There are multiple parking options:
- Free parking at Deepwater Basin (40-minute nature walk)
- Paid parking 10 minutes from the terminal
- Disability parking outside of the visitor terminal (As long as you can display a badge)
You can bring wheelchairs and prams on board as long as they fold to fit through the boat's entrance.
Reviews for Milford Sound Cruise – Self Drive
Total review count and overall rating based on Backpackerdeals and Travello reviews.
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.