- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- 1.25 hours of stargazing
- Astronomy guides
- Perfect introductory stargazing experience
- Discover hidden secrets in the Milky Way
- Commentary in Mandarin, Japanese and English
The Crater Experience at Cowan’s Observatory - Star Gazing TourPeer through a telescope and discover hidden secrets throughout the Milky Way!
Why do we love this
We think this tour is magical! The chance to see some of the most beautiful skies in the world and learn about them is an incredible experience.
What to Expect
This perfect introductory stargazing experience - a chance to gaze at the Milky Way and enhance your knowledge of the Southern Skies!
Designed specifically with stargazing in mind, Cowan’s Private Observatory is the best spot for an introductory stargazing experience. Nestled in a giant purpose-built crater to provide maximum wind protection and minimum light pollution, your expert astronomy guides tell you all about Southern Skies as you admire them through the powerful optical telescopes.
Take a look through the lens discover a few hidden secrets throughout the Milky Way. You'll be able to see the glistening Southern Cross and many other constellations, depending on the time of year.
Cowans Observatory is a dark sky location and is close to the township, offering a more sheltered environment. This makes it a great choice for families!
The tour will only operate if the sky is clear enough to see some of our southern night sky objects, so your guaranteed some great views. Warm clothing is essential, all year round.
Frequently Asked Questions
You will be advised of the weather update 10 minutes prior to the tour's departure. If it is cloudy, we will cancel this tour. All customers will be issued with a full refund on the same method that payment was taken. If guests are staying in Tekapo for additional nights, we are able to transfer to tour departure to another night – provided there is availability.
- Tour participants accept that we are unable to guarantee full clarity, ideal skies, or visibility of certain objects. Tours operate in an alpine environment where the weather can change rapidly. Periodically, tours may be subject to partial or full cloud cover for some or all of the tour. In this event we will, however, endeavour to continue the tour using the sky which is visible.
- Arrival after the check-in deadline (20 minutes prior to tour departure) may result in you losing your tour and the entire fare paid. The bus will not be held for you if you arrive late at the departure point, no matter the reason.
- We have a no alcohol and / or smoking policy on all of our tours and we reserve the right to not allow intoxicated persons to participate in our tours.
- Minimum required clothing and footwear for our tours is sturdy, warm and covered footwear, a wind proof and warm jacket. A Hat and gloves are recommended. No glowing, flashing or light up shoes or clothing are permitted on tours. Failure to comply with these compulsory clothing requirements may result in you being refused entry to the tour.
- We require one adult to every two children to assist in their supervision. For example, one to two children need one adult booked, three to four children must have two adults booked, five to six children need three adults booked.
- Up until 24 hours prior to the tour date, you may change (subject to availability) or cancel your booking at no charge.
- No cancellations may be made within 24 hours of tour time and full payment will be required in relation to any purported cancellations inside 24 hours of tour time.
- We reserve the right to cancel any tour, including in the event of snow and/or ice, rain or extreme winds. In addition, we reserve the right to change the duration and/or location of the tour at our discretion.
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely