- Enjoy this ultimate alpine helicopter tour of the Kaikoura region
- Fly over the Kaikoura Ranges to the Clarence Valley
- Discover Kaikoura's best kept secrets from a helicopter
- Land at remote spots including Mt Fyffe
- A pilot will point out spots along the way
What to Expect
The Grand Alpine helicopter tour climbs high among the seaward Kaikoura ranges, flying past peaks that rise over 8000 feet with snow visible in winter. This incredible experience captures the best of Kaikoura's magnificent views including coastal shorelines, unique landscapes, and towering mountain ranges.
The tour begins with lift off from the Kaikoura beachfront helipads where the helicopter travels North along the rugged Kaikoura coastline. Your pilot will point out the slips and repairs carried out since the 2016 Kaikoura Earthquake that blocked off-road access to Kaikoura for over a year. Once you reach the Clarence River, the helicopter heads west towards the Seaward Kaikoura mountain range, flying over multiple slips and fault lines. Your pilot will show you where the Clarence River was diverted from its original course, now flowing through what used to be a farmer’s paddock!
The tour flies over the George Saddle, out into the Clarence Valley where you will be surrounded by the Seaward and Inland Kaikoura ranges. Your pilot will find a secluded spot in the mountains to land, either on top of the skyline with breathtaking views or nestled amongst the mountains in a small clearing that's only accessible by helicopter.
After re-boarding the helicopter, the tour will venture south down the Clarence Valley before turning East and flying back over the mountains to the summit of Mt Fyffe. The helicopter will land here. You can get out of the helicopter for fresh air and take photos of the panoramic views of this special place. Your helicopter tour lasts 70 minutes including alpine landings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Safety is paramount in determining if the weather is good to fly. Cancellations or postponements may occur if the weather is deemed unsafe to fly.
Individual and total weight restrictions apply to specific aircraft or flights.
Reviews for 70 Minute Kaikoura Grand Alpine Helicopter Tour
Total review count and overall rating based on Backpackerdeals and Travello reviews.
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
- All flights are subject to a minimum passenger number of 2 for brochure flights. Bookings will be accepted for numbers less than the required minimum and we will try our best to coordinate bookings to achieve the required minimum for the flight to depart, but this cannot be guaranteed
- All departures are subject to change or cancellation if weather conditions are not suitable or if the minimum numbers required for the flight are not met. The tour will do its best to reschedule your flight, or a refund will be offered (see Cancellation & Refund information below)
- Flights operate every day except for Christmas Day
- Safety is paramount in determining if the weather is good to fly. Cancellations or postponements may occur if the weather is deemed unsafe to fly
- Flight times and routes are subject to weather conditions; the flight route may vary due to weather
- Individual and total weight restrictions apply to specific aircraft or flights
- The pilot will determine the seating of passengers based on weight and balance restrictions of the helicopter
- The helicopter used may vary and is at the discretion of Kaikoura Helicopters/GCH Aviation. Helicopters being R44, EC130, AS350
- Infants who weigh 18kgs or less and are aged 3 years or under fly free of charge, children over 3 and/or over 18kgs must occupy their own seat and the full fare be paid for that seat
- Child prices refer to the ages of 4 to 11 years old or infants weighing over 18kg
- We see whales 97% of the time. Occasionally, despite our very best efforts and flight planning, you may not see a whale. This is rare and unfortunate, but can happen. If you do not see a whale, unfortunately we do not have a refund policy.
- Change of date: Reservations may be transferred to another date, subject to space availability, with no transfer fee incurred, provided notification is received at least 24 hours in advance or at least 4 days in advance for groups of 5+. If you or GCH Aviation are unable to re-schedule the flight then a full refund will be provided
- No refund will be given for no-shows or changes you make to your booking less than 24 hours prior to departure
- Weather cancellations are out of our control, we will try to rebook you for another time or a refund will be offered in accordance with our refund policy guidelines
- Should inclement weather prevent a flight at the booked location, the same prepaid voucher will be accepted at any of GCH Aviation's bases in New Zealand for a flight of similar duration and price. If you are unable to re-schedule the flight then a full refund will be offered
- Where payment is made by credit card and a refund applies, the amount must be refunded back to the credit card in New Zealand dollars. GCH Aviation takes no responsibility in paying any transaction fees incurred for this
- Payments made by credit card will result in the refund being refunded back to that original credit card only - no cash refunds apply
- No cancellation fee applies for FIT cancellations made at least 24 hours in advance or at least 4 days in advance for groups of 5+
- Bookings and payments made through third party sites will be subject to their terms and conditions and refunds will come from them, not GCH Aviation
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.
Get Instant Confirmation