- Return shuttle transfers from Oreti accommodation to the start of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing
- Cultural blessings
- Free photography
- Use of walking poles
- A drink at the end of your hike
Tongariro Alpine Crossing: Shuttles & Transfer Oreti Round TripTake on New Zealand's most breathtaking one-day hike at the Tongariro Alpine Crossing with convenient transfers.
What to Expect
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is Aotearoa New Zealand’s best 1-day adventure hike. The 19-and-a-half kilometre journey takes you across the peak of Mt Tongariro, discovering lava flows, steam vents, emerald-coloured lakes, an active crater, and unforgettable views of the surrounding landscape. The hike takes 6 to 8 hours and requires a moderate fitness level, appropriate clothing and equipment, and an adequate supply of food and water.
Choose a fantastic transport option from Oreti Kuratau to the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. These round trip shuttle transfers are perfect for self-hikers embarking on the epic journey. You'll be welcomed into the heart of the Tongariro National Park, the first UNESCO dual heritage National Park in the world. It sits among New Zealand's sacred and world-renowned volcanic mountains of Pihanga, Tongariro, Ngauruhoe, and Ruapehu.
Shuttle times from Oreti Kuratau depart at 7:05 am and return at 3:00 pm or 5:30 pm. Along the way, you'll enjoy learning about Manaakitanga – the caring and safety of visitors, and Kaitiakitanga – guardianship to preserving life and the environment. The journey to the hike takes 45 minutes, while the return trip is 30 minutes.
Before you depart, it's important to be aware that this is a challenging journey, and there are safety measures you should take.
- Plan your trip (seek local knowledge and plan the route you take and the amount of time you can reasonably expect to take)
- Tell someone (tell someone your plans and leave a date for when to raise the alarm if you haven't returned) please notify us of your return
- Be aware of the weather (the weather can be highly unpredictable. Check the forecast and expect weather changes)
- Know your limits (Challenge yourself within your physical limits and enjoy your experience)
- Take sufficient supplies (Food, water, first aid kit, extra clothing - NO denim jeans, sunscreen, wet weather gear, sturdy footwear, headlamp, and your own toilet paper)
- No infants allowed
Where we visit:
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing
Frequently Asked Questions
Mangatepopo platform is the start of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing trail. The Ketetahi Carpark on State Highway 46 Lake Rotoaira is the trail end.
The drive to the start of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing trail at Mangatepopo takes 45min to 1hr. The journey back from the end of the trail takes around 30min.
No. You are responsible for being prepared and aware when attempting any outdoor activity at your own risk. Transport is our priority.
We brief you on safety and give our contact details, so you can message or call us at signal receiving areas. Communication is KEY.
Approximately 6 to 8hrs. If you think you need more time we highly recommend choosing the later return transport option.
A cell phone or personal locator beacon is a must. Take sufficient supplies of food & water, a first aid kit, extra clothing (NO denim jeans), sunscreen, wet weather gear, sturdy footwear, headlamp, and your own toilet paper. Bring everything that you take back out of the park, ensuring your journey is environmentally friendly.
You will be advised by a Department of Conservation Ranger for your safety first, and to head back either to the trail start or the trail end depending on your point of location. With either option contact or inform your transport operator as soon as possible.
The crossing is a challenging hike, so you need to have a moderate level of health and fitness. If you have any allergies or breathing issues, you must have a medical remedy with you - the elevation can be up to 1886m above sea level. If you have any medical concerns, consult with your general practitioner before booking.
No. It is respect to scared preservation and for your safety to remain on track. Time is a major factor when outdoors please think wisely.
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is enjoyed by self-hiking as the trail is well marked and you are not alone, everyone is going the same way. Guided tours are an option and are highly recommended in winter.
No. You need to have respect for preservation and the elimination of water contamination. Contaminants can be transferred from what is on your hands or feet.
Yes. Environmental toilets are at the trail start, trail end, and placed appropriately and respectfully along the trail. Take your own toilet paper.
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is free to hike, enjoy and respectfully preserve. There is a cost for transport operators, but a portion of your transport costs contributes to the maintenance of the Park for your enjoyment and future preservation.
No. Please be respectful, you are in a UNESCO World's First Dual Heritage National Park that is a gift for all to enjoy, and respectfully preserve, especially its wildlife.
Safety is paramount. Signage along the trail will advise you of the limits or challenges. You can either carry on or turn back to the trail start. Please inform your transport operator if you turn back.
- Travel times are estimated only and set for your convenience, enjoyment, and safety. Late return of 10 minutes or more will incur a late fee of $20.00 per person minimum x 2 applicable
- Pick-ups & departure times are strict. Clients should arrive and be ready 15 minutes before departure time from pick-up destination or as prior arranged with Management
- Unforeseen circumstances out of the operator's control that may cause bookings to be cancelled or delayed i.e.; a natural disaster; weather conditions, landslips, volcanic activity, floods, road works/closures, accidents, list of some but not to be exhausted, therefore bookings cannot be guaranteed
- Children 12yrs & under must be accompanied by an adult (without an adult, please ask management for arrangements). Age restriction is for awareness and safety first. No infants as transfer not suitable for car seats
- Bookings requesting cancellation must be received by the operator within 48 hrs or more with written notice (email, letter, text, and phone) are acceptable for 100% refundable. Notice less than 48 hrs and before 24 hrs notice will incur a 50% refund. Notice less than 24 hrs will forfeit any refunds
- Once the client has started their confirmed transport and if there is a change of mind during this travel time will forfeit any refund; this also includes using any other transport operator than. Advised weather permitting not applicable
- If a client has booked and prepaid and is then *refused transport, the client will forfeit any payment for any refund
- Unforeseen circumstances out of the operator's control may cause bookings to be cancelled i.e.; a natural disaster; weather conditions, landslips, volcanic activity, floods, road works/closures, accidents, list of some but not to be exhausted. Bookings affected will be notified informed. Arrangements can be made for a change of dates or a full refund is applicable
Reviews for Tongariro Alpine Crossing: Shuttles & Transfer Oreti Round Trip
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely