- All equipment provided
- Transport from Waimarino Adventure Park to the tour launch site
- Refreshments (Summer: cheeseboard & fruit platter with NZ wines & juice. Winter: salami, dried kiwi fruit & mulled wine.)
- Knowledgeable guide
- Paddle through a glowworm canyon
Evening Glow Worm Kayak Tour - 3 Hours 30 MinutesWitness a stunning sunset and meet New Zealand's famous glowworms as you paddle on Lake McLaren!
- Please bring a fleece top or similar. A hat is recommended in cool or wet weather.
Why do we love this
We love this tour because of the unique way it shows off one of New Zealand's most incredible attractions - the glow worms! These guys are already pretty cool, but the chance to see them while paddling on a kayak? That's even cooler!
What to Expect
Are you ready to experience an adventure that's out of this world? New Zealand's gorgeous glow worms are one of the highlights on any trip and this tour just adds to the fun! An evening kayaking tour that treats you to a stunning sunset before taking you through a canyon of glow worms, this is an experience you won't forget in a hurry!
Your evening glow worm tour starts nestled amongst the trees at Lake McLaren Falls Park. Transport to and from Waimarino Adventure Park to this site is included.
Before you begin paddling, you'll be treated to a light show over the lake as the sun sets. Watch from the river bank and enjoy some tasty refreshments. In the warmer months, enjoy a cheeseboard and fruit platter with wine from the award-winning Mills Reef winery to accompany it. In winter, tuck into salami dried kiwi fruit & mulled wine.
After watching the light fade, your kayak tour guides will prepare and brief you on how to use your kayak. Once you've got the hang of it, it's onto the water you go! Enjoy a relaxing paddle on picturesque Lake McLaren as night time falls.
Next, make your way to the glow worm canyon for another magical surprise. The tour is perfectly timed so that it’s completely dark by the time we get to the glow worm canyon. This means you're able to see the glow worms to the best effect. Enjoy watching these incredible creatures dart around as you explore the mysterious canyon.
As you travel through, your guide will tell you fascinating information about the life cycle and peculiarities of the New Zealand glow worms. Did you know they are actually a type of fungus gnat?
After about 1 hour and 30 minutes on the water, it's time to make your way back to the river bank. Transport back to Waimarino Adventure Park is included.
This experience is approximately 3.5 hours in total. Paddling time is 1.5 hours. The tour is suitable for ages 8 and above with no kayaking experience required.
Frequently Asked Questions
We will provide all kayaking gear, but we recommend everyone brings a fleece top or similar for additional warmth while enjoying the refreshments on the lake edge (the coolest part of the evening), once we get the gear on for kayaking and start paddling you will be toasty warm.
A hat is recommended in cool or wet weather.
Please wear comfortable light warm clothing, we recommend that people don't wear denim jeans; while you are unlikely to get wet, jeans are heavy, cold and uncomfortable if they do get wet.
- Two person minimum for all kayak tours to operate.
- 8 years minimum age.
- Cancellation made 24hrs prior to the scheduled departure, with the consultation of the Waimarino Group manager - 100% refund.
- Less than 24 hours prior to departure - no refund.
- Failure to present for tour - no refund.
- Postponement to another day will not incur any charges. Please contact us no less than 3 hours prior to your tour's departure to arrange this.
- Waimarino Group reserves the right to cancel the tour on the day, due to weather or any safety concerns. If this is done, the tour will be postponed or a full refund will be made.
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely