- 5 hours of black water rafting in Ruakuri Caves
- Cave tubing (black water rafting) adventure
- Abseil 35 metres into a hole
- Enjoy jumps, a flying fox and waterfall climbs
- Experienced caving guides
- Wetsuits and footwear
- Abseiling training
- Travel beneath glowworms
- Hot shower after tour
- Complimentary soup and bagel after tour
The Black Abyss - Black Water Rafting WaitomoExplore Ruakuri Cave on this adrenaline fueled black water rafting adventure which included jumps, a flying fox and waterfall climbs!
- Transfers from accommodation
Why do we love this
We love the mystical vibes on this tour. Floating beneath a ceiling of glowworms is a pretty special experience!
What to Expect
Feeling adventurous? Then this black water rafting tour is a must do! The Black Abyss is the ultimate Waitomo black water rafting adventure for adrenaline junkies.
Embark on an unforgettable journey through Ruakuri Cave and take on tubing, abseiling and waterfall jumps all with experienced guides. This 5-hour adventure is one you'll never forget.
Start with a descent into the endless black depths of Ruakuri Cave. You'll be awestruck as you take in the glistening ceiling filled with shiny glowworms. This five-hour expedition includes abseiling a 35-metre hole, climbing, whizzing down a flying fox and cave tubing underneath glow worms.
According to Maori legends, a young Maori hunting for birds first discovered Ruakuri Cave 400-500 years ago! Today, it's the perfect place for a tubing adventure.
It's a magical area that been formed over millions of years to create a natural playground. Both Ruakuri Caves and the neighbouring Waitomo Caves are located in an area full of limestone rock. The cave structures began to form around 30 million years ago from the bones and shells of marine fossils. They collected on the sea floor and then hardened into sedimentary rock. At the same time, the earth shifted, and volcanoes erupted. It made huge slabs of limestone lift out of the sea. Over the centuries, water flowed through cracks in the rocks, widening them into larger and larger channels until huge caverns were formed.
These impressive natural caverns re where your journey takes place today. You'll take on an epic tubing course, experience waterfall jumps and abseils and even make the drop down a 35-metre high hole!
Throughout the experience, you'll also get to enjoy a backdrop of stunning glowworms that will shine and glisten around you. Ruakuri Cave is also filled with beautiful stalagmites and stalactites that have formed over millions of years. Another natural wonder includes shawl-like formations that have been formed by flowing rivers. Fossilised seashells indicate how the caves were part of the seabed a long time ago.
One of the major sights you'll encounter on this tour is Holdens Cavern. Other sights include The Drum Passage, an incredible sight, full of crystalline shapes, cave coral and columns, The Pretties, and The Ghost Passage.
A complimentary hot shower, soup and a bagel are included after this tour. Regain your strength (and warm up!) as you chat with your fellow rafters about your awesome experience.
- This tour is on a beginners level
- Minimum 16 years and 45kg
- Good physical condition is required
Frequently Asked Questions
585 Waitomo Caves Road, Waitomo, Otorohanga, 3940, New Zealand
Departs daily at:
- Subject to availability and weather conditions.
- Maximum of 12 people per trip.
- To complete the Black Labyrinth cave tubing tour requires a moderate level of fitness.
- Minimum age restrictions apply - You must be 12 years and 45kg +.
- All equipment is provided, including footwear, tubes, wetsuits, helmets, abseiling devices and safety equipment.
Please note that the bookings are processed manually and please chat to us before making the booking or you can book with us and your booking is confirmed only once confirmed by the tour operator.
- Cancellations must be made by phone to the Discover Waitomo office at least 24 hours ahead of the booked experience.
- Cancellations made within 24 hours of the booked experience occurring are 100% non-refundable.
- Cancellations made prior to 24 hours of the booked experience occurring are refundable but customers will be charged a $20 administration fee.
- In the case of a cancellation where a refund is allowed – the refund will be made to the card used in the original transaction method.
Cancellations or changes by operator:
- Discover Waitomo reserves the right to cancel bookings as a result of health & safety concerns, weather conditions or unforeseen event or circumstance. In the event that your experience is cancelled by the operator – you will be entitled to 100% refund of your purchase.
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely