- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- Full-day adventure exploring Akaroa's scenery & unique wildlife with a morning hike & afternoon sea kayak
- 3-hour self-guided hike through ancient forest
- Guided afternoon sea-kayaking safari to discover the beautiful Pohatu Marine Reserve
- All sea-kayaking equipment (life jackets, dry jackets, spray deck & dry bags for cameras)
- Fully qualified guides providing commentary on the area & its wildlife inhabitants
- Departs from the meeting point at 2/8 Rue Balguerie, Akaroa
Hike and Kayak Combo - AkaroaSpend the day on a fun and active adventure through Akaroa's natural playground!
What to Expect
Looking for the ultimate adventure to explore the Banks Peninsula's amazing natural landscape? Join us for a full day of activities combining a morning hike through endemic ancient forest down our private walking track to Pohatu Bay, before a sea-kayaking safari in the afternoon to encounter the local wildlife of Pohatu Marine Reserve.
Jump aboard the 4WD mini-van in Akaroa for a breathtaking scenic drive to the beginning of the hiking trail. Stop to enjoy photo opportunities over Akaroa Harbour, the outer coast, and surrounding farmlands and forested hillsides.
With a map and instructions from your guide, you will, at your leisure, walk down part of the famous Banks Track through ancient red beech tree forest and tree ferns that open out to the spectacular Pohatu Bay. The whole hike should take approximately three hours at a regular to a relaxed pace. Along the way discover many waterfalls, listen to native bird songs and visit the prehistoric forest of Tutakakahikura Scenic Reserve with trees over 400 years old.
Once arrived at Pohatu Bay you will have access to a fully equipped kitchen and bathroom facilities with time to relax, eat some lunch that you brought along with you and get ready for your afternoon adventure on the water, starting at 12.45pm.
Explore the outer coast of Banks Peninsula and Pohatu Marine Reserve by sea kayak to marvel at its spectacular towering cliffs, rock formations, reefs and deep-sea caves. Observe the diverse wildlife and marine species such as penguins, seals (and their pups), various sea birds and possibly the world’s smallest and New Zealand endemic dolphin. Best of all, no kayaking experience is necessary! Trips are only run in settled, safe conditions by experienced and knowledgeable guides.
Where We Visit
- Banks Track
- Pohatu Bay
Frequently Asked Questions
- A backpack for your belongings, clothes & lunch. Pack light as you will have to carry your own backpack down the hiking trail
- Hiking boots or hiking shoes
- Sunglasses, hat or both
- Water (can be refilled at our communal kitchen once in the bay)
- A packed lunch
- Pack a raincoat just in case; our weather even in the summer months can be unpredictable
Akaroa is a very safe village with free overnight parking. You may leave your vehicle next to our office or, if you prefer, at a private property that we may shuttle you to and from at no additional cost.
When living in an island nation like New Zealand, the weather is hard to predict and can quickly change; sunny one minute then pouring with rain the next and this even in the middle of summer. Offering outdoor activities, we may sometimes get rained on. We do not cancel our tours due to rainy days; it is just part of experiencing this wild country.
In saying that, all of our best wildlife viewing is usually when it's raining, especially on our Evening penguin tours.
Just remember to always bring a raincoat to New Zealand, just in case. We all hope for a beautiful sunny day but rain or shine our guides will give you an authentic New Zealand experience. In consideration of the above, no refund can be expected in the event of rain. A 10% service charge applies to all other cancellation refunds.
- Minimum age is 5 years. It is recommended children are 8 years or older for sea kayaking
- There are risks involved with sea kayaking - The Operator cannot be held responsible for personal injury or for loss, theft or damage of/to your equipment
- Tours are subject to weather conditions
- Cancellations within 24 hours of departure - 100% fees apply. Exceptions are made if the operator cancels the activity due to waterway, road or weather conditions
- If a kayaking trip has to be cancelled before leaving Akaroa due to strong winds or warnings, several options would be offered:
- Option 1: No further tours - Full Refund
- Option 2: Join a 4-hour Full Scenic Nature Tour (same pricing and departure time as afternoon kayaking)
- Option 3: Join a 2-hour Nature Tour ($65/adult, $35/child - refunded difference, depart at 1:30pm)
- Sometimes, we won't know if kayaking is suitable until we reach the bay or the wind has unexpectedly changed. If this is the case there are several options for our kayakers:
- Option 1: An immediate return with a 50% refund & no further wildlife guiding can be expected to see penguins or other wildlife
- Option 2: Join a 4-hour Full Scenic Nature Tour (same pricing & length of time)
- Option 3: Join a 2-hour Nature Tour (refunded difference between the tours)
Reviews for Hike and Kayak Combo - Akaroa
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely