- Two-way water taxi
- Delicious lunch, snacks and drinks
- Free photos and videos
- Free pick up from Motueka, Riwaka, Kaiteriteri, Marahau
- Professional guides
- Canyoning in Abel Tasman National Park
Torrent River Canyoning - Full DayTake on the mighty Torrent River! This trip has it all, from jumps and slides to floats and abseils.
Why do we love this
We love this trip because it is more than just canyoning. Aside from jumping, sliding, abseiling and ziplining your way down the canyon you’ll also go on exhilarating water taxi rides and on a stunning walk through the Abel Tasman National Park. You really get to do it all in one day!
What to Expect
Take on the mighty Torrent River in Abel Tasman National Park! This popular canyoning trip has it all: jumps, slides, floats and abseils.
You'll start your day with a complimentary pick up from Motueka, Riwaka, Kaiteriteri or Marahau. Then, it's off to the Aqua Taxi base in Marahau. You can also meet the team here if you prefer.
Take an exhilarating water taxi ride through the Astrolabe Roadstead into Anchorage. You'll leave the golden sand beaches of the coast behind as you embark on a stunning 1.5-hour walk into the Abel Tasman National Park. Along the way, your guides will keep you entertained with stories about the history, culture, flora and fauna of the park.
Enjoy a delicious lunch before the action starts. At the top of the canyon, you’ll change into your rubber suit, fit your harness tight and pop your helmet on. Listen to a clear safety briefing, and then it's time to enter the remote environment of the canyon.
You’ll be jumping, sliding, abseiling, scrambling, floating and ziplining through this canyon for about 3.5 hours! All the action takes place in a gorgeous granite canyon and you'll be surrounded by unspoiled rainforest as you go.
Your exciting trip finishes with a slide into Cleopatras Pool. It's the perfect finish to an adrenaline packed day. From here, it's just a 30-minute stroll along the river and the beach back to Anchorage. Your water taxi will be waiting to zip you back to Marahau.
Please note: start times are subject to availability/participant numbers. Your meeting/pick up time will be specified in your confirmation email. You will need a moderate level of fitness for this tour.
Frequently Asked Questions
We can take non-swimmers but it is very important that you tell us when you book. The wetsuits make you float really well so as long as you are a happy floater you can come. High flow trips and certain advanced trips are not recommended for non-swimmers. We have an almost dry canyon where you’ll only get wet up to your waist. Please contact us to discuss the options.
Jumps and slides are always optional. We want to work together with you to find out where your limits are. If a jump or slide is just that little bit too high or fast for you, then we’ll find you an easier option or we are also happy to let you abseil or lower you down instead.
No. You just have to be keen to try something new. On the more advanced trips it helps to have some climbing or abseiling experience. At the start of each trip you’ll receive a full safety briefing and an opportunity to practice abseiling outside the canyon.
All you need to bring is a swim suit, a towel and a pair of shoes that you don’t mind getting wet. For the walk up to the canyons just wear shorts and a t-shirt and bring a warm top for the water taxi rides. Shoes should have closed toes and be reasonably sturdy as the terrain in and around the canyon can be slippery and uneven. Running shoes or light trekking boots are good, NO sandals, jandals, “fivefinger” shoes or wetsuit booties. We have a bin full of spare shoes for people who don’t have their own or if the guides think they are not suitable but please always bring some footwear in case we don’t have your size. If you require medication during the activities please bring sufficient supplies, your guide can keep it safe and dry for you. If you combine the trips in Abel Tasman National Park with walking or sea kayaking then you should also bring gear for that.
We sure can. When you make your booking either online or via phone please inform us of your special dietary requirements (vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, nut free….you name it) and we’ll make sure you are looked after.
After your canyoning trip we upload the full quality photos and videos on our dropbox account. Once that is done we will send you the link via email so you can download them on your computer. Every now and again we get a back log so please be patient. The link stays active for a few months so if you’re a long term traveler then forward the link to someone at home who can download the files for you.
There is a safe place in Anchorage to leave your personal belongings during the Torrent River and Falls River canyoning trip. Alternatively, we can store small items in a safe at the Aqua Taxi base. For all other trips we recommend leaving your valuables at your accommodation as the vehicles in the car parks are the only place to store them.
- Canyoning is a potentially dangerous activity. Participants should be aware that Abel Tasman Canyons is unable to guarantee your safety on trips. Before commencing a trip, all participants must sign an indemnification form which states risks and responsibilities. For participants under 16 years old, the form must be signed by a parent or guardian (18+).
- Participants must follow the instructions of Abel Tasman Canyons' guides and/or assistant guides.
- Canyoning involves a mixture of physical activity; uphill walking, scrambling, swimming etc. Therefore it requires a reasonable level of fitness.
- Minimum age is 12
- The trip involves walking on uneven and slippery surfaces and full submersion in water
- Clients will be exposed to heights of up to 15m
- Jumps and slides are always optional
- All clients must fit our wetsuits and safety equipment to participate
Cancellation by you:
- Cancellations more than 24hrs prior will be fully refunded
- Cancellations between 12 and 24 prior will incur a 50% cancellation fee
- Cancellations within 12hrs prior will not be refunded
- There is no refund in the event of a no-show
Cancellation by Abel Tasman Canyons:
- All trips are subject to sufficient participant numbers if your trip gets cancelled due to insufficient numbers and you are not able to go on another day we will give you a full refund.
- All trips are subject to suitable weather conditions and river flow levels. If a trip is cancelled due to unsafe conditions or unsuitable weather forecast and you are not able to go on another day we will give you a full refund.
Reviews for Torrent River Canyoning - Full Day
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely